January 26, 2013

After a long Hiatus - Arduino, Raspberry Pi, NFC

I'm working on developing a mobile NFC based time and signature application collection system at work.  We are also moving to a new building and I am starting to get a key ring like a high school janitor.  It's big enough so the only thing I'm missing is the zip chain to hang on my belt.

Since you can see from the 2 years between posts I need a hobby project.  I decided I wanted to build an NFC locking system.  Here are the components I settled on:

  • Arduino Uno - This will handle the NFC reading and be present at the door.  After I worked on it I determined that an Arduino was needed at the door just to prevent simple shorting hacking issues
  • Raspberry Pi - OK, the thought of a $35 PC was just too good to pass up.  This is the logging tool, card adding tool, and unlock relay controller.
  • Sainsmart 4 channel relay board - This will handle the temporary lock and unlock process on the Fail Secure electronic strikes
  • Adafruit NFC shield - Was going to use a different option, but it got lost in shipping from Hong Kong and this is pretty easy.  Only complaint is that is't a bit too large to fit in a single gang electrical box so I need to hack a box and coverplate together.
  • Stack of other stuff - LEDs, transistors, resistors, perma-proto boards
I've got the thing built, but now it's final components and debugging.  Code, pictures, and details coming.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you made any progress with this setup? I'm working on something similar myself, but I'm stuck at sending NDEF NFC data between the Arduino and the Pi.

Angry Tech Guy said...

I ended up using a serial connection over the USB to get the info from the Adafruit NFC shield. I read the info into the Arduino, sent it back to the Pi, and then sent the information back. I ended up just having a python script looping forever and waiting for the serial info. Once it received something it would store it to a MySQL database and then send a response code back to the arduino to display on the LEDs. The code is hiding somewhere. I'll go look for it.